December 26, 2013

Philips HP6401 Satinelle Epilator

I. need. an. epilator. The End.

Yep, this is my first purchase of an epilator (It is 2013! Why didn't I know this years earlier of my life!?), or as anyone else would call it, "The Torture Device". I've been thinking about it a lot, read reviews and it definitely outweighs the pros than the cons. I have been using the Strip-It Hair Hair Removal Wax for years now. Don't get me wrong, but I love the product! Waxing at home has been a ritual every two weeks to keep everything in place. However, it can be quite costly to purchase a new tub every couple of months. I need something else.


An epilator is a hair plucking device. The minute it is turned on, its 21-30 electric tweezers (depending on the brand) rotates and quickly removes the hair down to its root. It has two-speed settings: (1) gentle and (2) efficient. But in my experience, I used the first setting (gentle), and I say it still pulled the hair out down to the root in my arms, legs, underarms and upper lip hair. Within minutes, you get a hair-free skin without the nasty stubble like what you see when one shave. Sounds easy? Yes, but it definitely hurts especially if one has never gone through waxing or threading. If someone has been into a waxing salon, your body is already accustomed to the pain like you know what to expect. (I had someone to thread my eyebrows, and man, it hurts so bad! I was in tears!!!)

A month ago, I browsed on Amazon to get myself a good epilator. I have no product to compare it to so I read reviews more than thrice to be extra sure. I do not want the hassle to return the product, or leave it inside my closet and never to be seen again. There were lot of brands of epilators and it ranges from $30-$200. I am on a tight budget because I was also eyeing some other items on Amazon. LOL! So I want something affordable and does the job like it says it would.

I bought the Philips HP6401 Satinelle Epilator on Amazon for $32.99. And I would have to say, I am happy on my purchase.
Though the product says it is for the legs, I also used it on my underarms and arms and it works like magic!
Philips Satinelle epilator gives you soft, smooth skin from head to toe. Unlike disposable razors or depilatories, Philips Satinelle epilator removes hair from the roots and is gentle on your skin. Complete with two speed settings and an ergonomic grip for comfortable handling, this epilation system removes hair as short as 0.5 millimeter. The 21 hypoallergenic discs and a removable, washable head ensure a hygienic hair removal experience.
- Efficient epilation systsem removes hair from the root
- Efficiency cap ensures gentle epilation in the most sensitive areas

- Two speed setting allow for maximum performance
- Ergonomic grip for comfortable handling
- Washable epilation head for optimal hygiene  



The box comes with the epilator itself, an instruction manual, a long cord, and an efficiency cap (the purple one). But I think the efficiency cap has nothing to do anything to keep the pain at bay; others threw it out, but I still kept it to keep my epilator 'protected'. Guess it is just me.



The moment you'd use this, expect that there will be pain. Since I am used to waxing, the pain is tolerable. The hair is removed from the root so there's no shortcut, unless you don't feel physical pain at all. Doesn't it make you feel good to see those roots from the unwanted hairs in the epilator? I do. Switch the epilator on. I used neither of the two-settings; it still works fine. The sound of the rotating tweezers may sound frightening and intimidating at first, but you'll get the hang of it overtime. Keep the epilator in a 90 degree angle. Do NOT force the epilator to your skin. Let it glide to your skin as it removes hair. Take your time. Glide the epilator upwards and downwards depending on the direction of the hair. Again, it will hurt, but the results are rewarding! Once the hair is removed from the root, the hair will grow finer and sparser overtime. If this is your first time, do a patch test to see what you should expect during the epilating process. Once you are done, remove ONLY the epilator head (The back of the epilator has a marking and it shows the direction where to slide the epilator head for clean-up. Once it is completely dry, slide it back on.) and wash it with running water and let dry before storing.

I've read that others epilate after they took a shower because the pores are open and the hair is easier to remove. But for me, I prefer to epilate before I take a shower. It just feels less of a hassle. I want the hairs to be removed, exfoliate and apply lotion on damp skin. The skin feels so smooth, soft and clean especially on your underarms. Of course, I do also make sure I exfoliate the day before I'd epilate. Once hairs are removed from the root, it will take 1-2 weeks for the hair to grow before your next epilating which saves you time unlike shaving. I tried epilating the hairs on my upper lip and it hurts so bad! I cried! But if you can tolerate the pain, why not? I don't know though if some have tried epilating their bikini area... and I don't want to find out.


The Philips HP6401 Satinelle Epilator is NOT rechargeable. You need the cord to plug for your use. The cord is 5 feet long enough to cover places where you want to epilate. It can handle between a 100-240 voltage. But I am no way expert such as these; ask someone who knows better just to be extra sure if you need to use an adapter outside the U.S. Though I wanted a rechargeable epilator, I would say I am happy with what I got. The epilator doesn't come with a cap to protect the electric tweezers, so be extra careful where to place it for hygiene purposes. Do not forget to exfoliate everyday to remove dead skin and prevent ingrown hairs.

I've only used it twice since I last bought it a month ago. Despite the slight pain I felt, this is definitely worth the investment. With the epilator, you can take this baby with you wherever you go (be sure there is electricity!) and remove hairs in a breeze. Easy to use. No mess. Hair-free. Cute design. Compact. Budget friendly. No need to buy hair removing wax strips to remove hair. Done in few minutes. (Boom!)


UPDATE: March 17, 2014
I am back in the Philippines. ^^
I asked two electricians if I can directly plug this epilator and they say it is okay. 
So I did and it works just like the day I first used it. Everything's a-ok!
Before purchasing, better to research online its voltage capacity
to be extra sure especially gadgets you bought outside your country.
Always remember to ask a professional first before plugging things you do not 100% sure.



1 comment:

  1. this is a good one. I have read the epilator reviews. People are so much interested on these things now

    ReplyDelete